Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Post 14: SouljaBoyTellEm

Hello world, what's poppin'? Here I am, once again. Sitting at this computer Twittering like a mu'fucka while watching this Lakers/Rockets game [if I must say, is pretty interesting...well, the Lakers are kicking ass like I knew they would]. Oh, and Trevor Ariza is that dude, real talk. He's gonna make a great player in the future. And these commercials with this "Drag Me To Hell" trailer is gonna fuck up my night. I can't take this shit. I'm not gonna go see the movie, I don't fuck with scary films like that. Sorry.

Well, to vent a bit, it's been brought to my attention as of late that the Soulja Boy craze is getting worse. People all over the world love his music - if that's what you wanna call it - and they're amazed at how he has contracted the largest fan base since 50 Cent did it in 2003. Count it, Soulja Boy is quite innovative, but there are some people who would argue his musical integrity and core talent [or lack thereof]. There are still people in the music world who thinks Soulja Boy shouldn't be rapping [if that's what they chose to call it]. It's said that he [Soulja Boy] has no real rap experience, no lyrics, no versatile content, no progression, and no guile as an artist. Are they correct in their assessments, or are they just 'hating'? Then again, many of his fans could argue that although Soulja Boy doesn't have the talent and skill as many other rap artists, he does possess a lot of creativity and he makes good music. He's one of the shining examples young, black entrepreneurship in America today. Now, is this side correct, or are they just 'brainwashed'? To each is own.

Me personally, I could care less about what Soulja Boy does, but I agree with both arguments. Let's face it, Soulja Boy isn't the next 2Pac or Jay-Z...or whoever your favorite rapper may be [in case S.B. is your favorite rapper...to each is own], but Soulja Boy is creative and the music he's making is bringing in a lot of funding for him. He is an entrepreneur and he's innovative. I commend S.B. on his efforts.

But if you know me, you know I'm gonna keep it 100 with hip-hop culture.

Although S.B. is good guy and he's impressed the music industry thus far, he's definitely NOT what hip-hop needs. I'm not hating, I'm just expressing opinions about something that should be considered common knowledge by now. The songs he's making now are club-savvy and radio friendly, they're not introspective, socially-conscious, and by no means, are they lyrical. S.B. couldn't spit a hot lyric if he substituted lava and acid for saliva in his mouth. He's garbage, to say the least. It's like the Gucci Mane argument all over again. There is nothing special about their lyrics. I wish some people would wake up and realize the true meaning of hip-hop music and culture, and stop settling for mediocrity. True hip-hop heads knows a one-hit-wonder when we see them. Afro Man was whack, and the world knew it. He didn't last long. Soulja Boy, on the other hand, drops one dance song, and we keep him around? MTV places him in the Top 25 Hottest Emcees in rap [coming in @ #12...Soulja Boy Tell'Em]? The world goes crazy over his music? The kids love him? They're following his trends and they're wearing these big ass glasses? I digress. To each is own.

I'm spent. I've given up on rap music for a while. Rap music is dead. But I can't deny the fact that Soulja Boy is one hell of a hustler! Or could it be that the music industry is brainwashed? Who knows. Could be a conspiracy to take the attention away from the Hip-Hop Police's investigation in the murders of 2Pac & Biggie. Hmm...

Stay tuned for more blogging from yours truly,

The Man With 100 Nicknames! b.k.a. ~Loyalty~

No comments: