Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Post 2: The Greatest MC Ever!

Okay, since I'm in the library doing some studying, I might as well do another post. Now, I must let you all know that I'm still sort of new to the blog thing, but since the ventilation juices are flowing, might as well squeeze a few oranges (get it?). Anywho, so the weirdest thing happened to me today. I was sitting at the computer chatting with random friends of mines on http://www.facebook.com/ and as I was talking to them, I happen to sneak on http://www.imeem.com/ and peep out the new track by my favorite Rap/Hip-Hop artist of all time...Jay-Z! The new track he has is called "Brooklyn (We Go Hard)"...no homo. The track is outrageous, by the way. The beat is mellow, but the lyrics are amazing. Kind of reminds me of the old Hova (nickname) that I used to know. Just personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less. And as I was listening to the track, my mind begin to wonder and I asked myself, 'Why is he NOT the greatest of all time?' To my surprise, I was able to come up with one reason (yeah, what a hell of a surprise that was). My reason for him NOT being one of the greatest of all times was simply this. He's too damn cocky.

Now, before my fellow Jay-Z fans throw my big ass under the bus, let me explain ('twould be a tough time throwing my big ass under the bus, but I digress). If you're a real Jay-Z fan, you'd understand where I'm coming from. He's one cocky bastard! But that is why we love Jay-Z as a person and as a musician. Sometimes as a fan of his music, you begin to feel as though he's lost his sense of direction and that he's stepped outside of his element as far as rap music is concerned. Every artist has his flaws, but when people hold you to a high standard of being a real lyricist, you have to come correct. I've always known Jay-Z through his lyrics as being the cocky bastard we've all come to know and love, but you have to examine his consistency of flow and charisma in and out. C'mon, let's be real for a minute. After 'The Black Album' was released, the nigga fell off a bit. I was listening to his freestyles afterwards and I was amazed that after his "retirement", he was still able to maintain that thrill and patternization in his concepts and metaphors. But then, it happened! This nigga came out with 'Kingdom Come' and I thought his career came to an abrupt end! Great introduction Jay, but the follow-through? Seriously.

On another note, I really do think Jay-Z is by far one of the most talented, brightest and realistically down-to-earth rap artist since 2Pac to ever pick up a microphone. But one would have to admit that he's cocky and that type of presence in hip-hop music could keep him from maintaining the throne which has been recently given to him (not that MTV would know anything about hip-hop, but c'mon, who's better?). And who knows, we may even see a return of Iceberg Slimm (yeah, that Reasonable Doubt shit, what ya'll know about it?) but until then, we'll have to wait.

Feel free to comment, and no hating! The last thing I would want in my blog subscriptions is a hater!

No comments: